The Finance Department is committed to maintaining and reporting all City financial information accurately. Additionally, internal accounting controls, policies, and procedures are established, and adhered to, in order to safeguard City assets. We provide support and information to the City Council, Administration and all other departments.
What We Do
The South Salt Lake Finance Department is responsible for overseeing all of the following functions:
- Accurately record and report all financial transactions in a timely manner
- Ensure that cash and investment assets are expended according to city policy and state law
- Process all cash receipt and cash disbursement transactions, including:
- Payroll and accounts payable
- Utility payments
- Business license remittances
- Building permits
- Prepare and draft the annual financial reports and budget
- Strive to make timely and relevant financial information as accessible as possible
- Assist all customers and users of our services with courtesy and professionalism
- Evaluate and implement new technologies and processes as needed
Annually since 2005, the City has received the "Certificate of Achievement For Excellence in Financial Reporting" from the Government Finance Officers Association. The Certificate is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting.
When does the city’s fiscal (financial) year begin and end?
The city's fiscal (financial) year begins July 1st and extends to the next June 30th.
Where can I find more information on City finances?
Every year all financial transactions, and other useful information, are compiled into an annual report, which is audited by an independent certified public accounting firm. When complete, the independent auditors present the results of their work to the City Council. The audited financial reports (in addition to municipal budgets from previous years) are available to the public on our Reports Webpage.
Where can I find out how much a specific City service will cost?
For more information on the costs of our services, see our Consolidated Fee Schedule in the Municipal Code. Costs will be updated yearly.