To ensure the health and safety of the public, the City of South Salt Lake requires that construction work can only be performed after a permit is obtained. The Building Permits Division works to ensure that all buildings obtain the proper permits and conform to our City Building Codes and the International Building Code.
What We Do
Our division oversees two major areas to ensure safe and successful construction throughout South Salt Lake:
Building Permits - We process applications and review building plans before issuing any permits to ensure compliance with the current building codes.
Inspections - The work is then inspected during construction to confirm adherence to the approved plans and codes. We issue a Certificate of Occupancy or a Certificate of Completion when the work is completed and in compliance with all code requirements.
Projects that require a building permit:
- New Buildings
- Tenant Improvements
- Structural Modifications
- Renovations (basement finishes, kitchen expansions, roofing, etc.)
- Electrical Installations (service upgrades, meter change, new branch circuits, etc.)
- Plumbing Installations (gas lines, drain piping, water lines, etc.)
- HVAC Installations (heating, ventilation, cooling, etc.)
**If you are unsure whether a permit is required or not, please call Jody Engar at 801.483.6005**
Information needed for a building permit application:
- General Contractor contact information and State License number
- All Subcontractor contact information and State License numbers (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing)
- Architect contact information
- Current property owner information & property owner affidavit
- Business owner information (your location must have an SSL Business License)
Items to submit when applying for a building permit:
- Completed application & all checklist items
- Property Owner Affidavit
- Pay plan check fee - fee is based on permit valuation at time of submission
- Two paper copies of plans
- One digital copy of plans on CD only (emails are not currently accepted)
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide a complete application. South Salt Lake will review all complete applications within 15 business days. Reviews and comments will be sent via email to the contact listed on the permit application. From there, it is the applicant's responsibility to make any revisions necessary.
How long does it take to process a building permit application?
We will review and provide feedback within 15 business days. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide a complete application and respond to comments accordingly. Applications are only valid for 180 days.
May I start construction prior to my permit being approved?
No. Any project that starts work without a permit may be subject to citation and a double fee for the application. Criminal penalties may be imposed for failure to comply.
Do I need an inspection with my building permit?
Yes. All building permits require an inspection. Please call 801.483.6032 to schedule an onsite inspection. If work is completed without an inspection, the applicant is responsible for removing and/or replacing all uninspected work to ensure compliance.
Do I need a permit to install a fence?
If your proposed fence is under 6 feet tall and wood construction, you do not need to apply for a building permit application. If your proposed fence is constructed of masonry material (any height) or over 6 feet tall (any material), you are required to apply for a building permit application. All fences must comply with clearview restrictions as defined in South Salt Lake Municipal Code.
Do I need a permit to reroof my building?
Yes. Any reroof of a structure requires a building permit.