City of South Salt Lake


Add To My Quick Links


Any person engaging in business within the corporate limits of the City of South Salt Lake must first obtain a license from the City of South Salt Lake prior to conducting business. Business licenses are only valid for the address on the application. A change in location requires re-application for licensure. Multiple locations require a separate license for each location.

If you have questions relating to the submission of your application, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

How to apply for a business license:

  • Submit complete application (hard copy to office only)
  • Pay application fee
  • Bring property owner affidavit or lease agreement
  • Complete pre-inspection checklist 
  • Bring copy of Utah State Department of Commerce Name Registration
  • Bring copy of State of Utah Sales Tax ID Number
  • Bring copy of Federal EIN ID Number
  • Bring copy of Occupational or Professional License, if applicable
  • Bring copy of Salt Lake County Health Department approval, if applicable
  • Bring copy of Department of Agriculture approval, if applicable
  • Bring copy of Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division approval, if applicable
  • Bring copy of Mt. Olympus Improvement District (sewer district) approval, if applicable


  • Building Inspector - David Chipman - 801.483.6007 or
  • Fire Inspector - Matthew Chase - 801.707.0116 or

It is the applicant's responsibility to provide a complete application and obtain all applicable city, county, or state code approval requirements. Upon notice from the City that your application is incomplete you will have thirty (30) days to correct any problems and/or provide any missing information or payments. 

When does my license renew?

All licenses must be renewed on an annual basis.
Businesses located east of 200 West (light rail tracks) renew on January 1.
Businesses located west of 200 West (light rail tracks) renew on August 1.

How to pay for a business license renewal?

  • Pay Online - South Salt Lake has partnered with Xpressbillpay 
  • Credit Card, Check, or Cash - Please mail or bring payment to our office. 

**All payments must include renewal sheet or account number**

Good Landlord Program *Optional Program*:

South Salt Lake's Good Landlord Program is a rental license incentive program that is intended to educate landlords on management strategies to prevent crime, maintain equity, and promote compatibility with surrounding neighborhoods. Applicants who are certified through the Good Landlord Program receive a significant reduction in their rental license fees. 

Enrollment Requirements:

  • Maintain a SSL Rental Business License
  • Attend a Good Landlord class prior to certification and renew every 3 years. Applicants may take a class in any jurisdiction as long as the class is taken in person and not online.
  • Sign a written agreement with SSL

Program Requirements:

  • A written lease for every dwelling unit is required
  • All adult tenants must be listed on the lease
  • Background checks provided for all tenants on lease
  • The landlord/manager shall serve notice of eviction within 5 business days of receiving substantial evidence that a tenant or guest was involved in criminal or nusiance activity on the premises
  • Maintain the rental dwelling in a fit and habitable condition, as required by State Code and relevant building, fire, and land use codes. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

How long does it take to process an application? All complete applications are processed in the order recieved. 

Are business licenses transferable? No! All new businesses (or businesses with a change in ownership) shall submit new complete applications and schedule required inspections.

May I start business before my license is issued? No!

I scheduled a building/fire inspection and recieved a correction list for compliance, now what do I do now? All inspection compliance lists must be completed prior to license approval. If the compliance item requires a building permit, you will need to submit the appropriate applications with a General Contractor licensed in the State of Utah.

Do I need a business license if I am only storing goods in a warehouse? Yes!

Do I need a business license to rent my residential property? Yes!

Do I need an inspection for my rental business license application? Yes!
When does my rental license renew? All rental licenses renew January 1.

I am closing my business in SSL, what do I need to do? Please call or email business licensing staff to close your account.




Related Information

Contact Us

Tracy Swenson

Business License Specialist

Karla Slick
Business License Official

Alexandra White
Community Development Director

Sean Lewis
Deputy Director



Commercial Business License Application

Home Occupation License Application

Rental Business License & Good Landlord Application

Please contact staff for the following applications:

Alcohol & Local Consent License Application